It is a pleasure to bring to the attention of junior faculty members the Regents' Junior Faculty Fellowships for the summer of 2018. These fellowships provide summer salary awards in the amount of $5,000 for junior faculty, to be paid on August 1, 2018.
The submissions are due to Department Chairs on Friday, April 13, 2018, and must be received by the Vice Provost's Office by Friday, April 27, 2018.
The following guidelines apply in determining an applicant's eligibility:
- Eligibility is limited to academic year appointees in the ranks of Assistant Professor, Acting Assistant Professor, Acting Associate Professor, and, in the School of Law, Acting Professor. Individuals known to be in their last year of UC employment and those who have been recommended for promotion to tenure effective July 1, 2018, are ineligible.
- The proposed project should provide an opportunity for educational enrichment through significant research, advanced or independent study, or improvement of teaching effectiveness.
- Individuals are limited to one of these fellowships during their career.
- Recipients of the award are expected to devote their time exclusively to the specific effort funded. Compensation for additional work integral to the research or study for which the Fellowship was awarded is allowed as long as total compensation for the summer does not exceed 3/9ths of the annual 9-month rate. A recipient should not accept compensation for other University services, (e.g. Summer Session teaching) and should not receive other major support for the same period. (e.g. Guggenheim or Fulbright fellowships.)
Please observe the following deadlines in order to assist us in informing applicants as soon as possible of action taken on their applications:
- An eligible junior faculty member who wishes to apply for this fellowship should submit one copy of the application to his/her Department Chair by Friday, April 13, 2018.
- The Department Chair should add a statement of endorsement. In addition, s/he should complete the two fields on page two of the application form regarding years of service and expected tenure review date. The Chair should forward all materials to the Dean by Friday, April 20, 2018.
- Deans should submit their 1-page letter of endorsement*, together with the applications and Chairs' endorsements, to Vice Provost Ben Hermalin, 200 California Hall, by Friday, April 27, 2018.
The documents may be sent via campus mail to 200 California Hall, MC 1500, or via email to email@example.com.
Any questions may be addressed to Yasya Goretsky in the Vice Provost's Office via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 642-7742.
* Please note, Deans are no longer required to submit ranked lists to the Vice Provost's Office.